Search This Blog

Sunday 28 July 2013

Nickin' Chic's Shtick

I was passing through Tavistock earlier in the week, and had time to kill while Old Daddy Goggins was getting his hair cut - it is a long and not very interesting story - so I did a quick tour of the charity shops.

Guided by the spirit of recent birthday boy, Charity Chic, I picked up a couple of CDs to share with you. I have not had a chance to listen to them myself yet, so I am relying on you to tell me whether these tracks - selected at random - are any good.

The first album was "Beyond The Sun" by Billy Mackenzie, the record he was working on at the time of his suicide in January 1997 which was tidied up and released later that year. The second was Rod Stern's "Give It Up For Rod Stern" from 2006. Apparently Rod is/was the alter ego of the former bass player with the Sultans of Ping. At that level of fame, you can understand why he felt the need for a nom de plume.

"Blue It Is" - Billy Mackenzie

"If I Don't Got You" - Rod Stern

Here is Yvonne Elliman, expressing a similar sentiment to Rod but in a more grammatically correct way.


1 comment:

  1. It would be foolish in the extreme to pass up the opportunity to purchase anything by Billy MacKenzie

    ReplyDelete