Search This Blog

Sunday 13 January 2013

Single Song Saturday

Today's post is inspired - if that is the right word - by the jukebox in the Wentworth Arms, which seems to know intuitively what I want to sing along to. It was in excellent form last night and, tucked in between "El Paso" and "Funny How Time Slips Away", gave us the Johnny Cash version of "I've Been Everywhere".

As much as I love a bit of Johnny, you have to say the Hank Snow original is better, if only because he can rattle along at a speed that Johnny can't match. The song takes us on a whistle stop tour of the USA. Others have adapted it for other regions, and it has inspired some original songs on similar themes. So today, after Hank has finished, we take you on a trip to Ireland, South Africa and the Netherlands.

"I've Been Everywhere" - Hank Snow

"I've Been Everywhere" - Dermit Hegarty

"16 Rietfonteins" - Des & Dawn Lindberg

"I've Seen Pubic Hair" - MacLean & MacLean

1 comment:

  1. There's a great version by Jackie Leven here http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JHDMF3t6CoE

    ReplyDelete