Search This Blog

Friday 10 September 2010

New York, New York

This is the last you will hear from me for ten days or so. Tomorrow morning I am off to New York for a week. The first half of the week I will be visiting Cousin Goggins in rural Westchester County, the second half I will be hanging out with the hipsters in Williamsburg and muttering about their dress sense and alarming self-confidence in my usual grumpy middle-aged way. Apart from that the plan is mostly to mooch about and hopefully to catch a few bands.

To get me in the mood, and to tide you over until I return, here is a bumper crop of songs about Le Grande Pomme (plus one about Westchester County, especially for Cousin Goggins).

"Westchester County" - Loudon Wainwright III

"N.Y.C." - Steve Earle

"The Apple Stretching" - Grace Jones

"King Of The New York Streets" - Dion

"Dirty Boulevard" - Lou Reed

"The Lower East Side" - David Peel & The Lower East Side

"Walking Down Madison" - Kirsty MacColl

"Across 110th Street" - Bobby Womack

"In Brooklyn" - Al Stewart

"Rockaway Beach" - General Johnson & Joey Ramone

If the weather is good I was thinking of going down to Rockaway Beach. Can any of our readers in New York advise on whether it is worth the effort?

I was also thinking of maybe heading up to Belmont to get a slap-up Italian meal and pay a small tribute to the streets that raised the man I still consider to be Mr. New York, Dion (although there are a couple of decent contenders for the minor places making cameo appearances in this video).

No comments:

Post a Comment