Search This Blog

Thursday 16 April 2009

Shondells Soul And Soca

Mary at work has very kindly given me a load of recent soca mp3s. I used to listen to soca a lot in the 1980s but with the modern stuff I’m afraid I find myself muttering that it all sounds the same to me – and in truth it was heading that way 20 years or so ago after the advent of what Chalkdust called “two chords and Leston Paul”.

Having said that there were a fair few gems in Mary’s selection, and one song in particular stood out as being very catchy and naggingly familiar. After a few listens it eventually dawned on me that the reason it sounded familiar was because they had nicked the tune for the chorus from “Crimson and Clover” by Tommy James & The Shondells. And they even gave it a title that rhymed as a clue. So here is “Wine And Bend Over” by Ghetto Flex and Denise Belfon.

http://www.box.net/shared/ohatbkultg

I have a few other Tommy James covers dotted around my collection. One of the better ones is this laid-back soulful remake of “Crystal Blue Persuasion” by The Kelly Brothers.

http://www.box.net/shared/epo9m8fqib

We'll leave you with a clip of Mr Flex and Ms Belfon wining and, in her case, bending over. If you have a nervous disposition you may want to skip the bit starting at 0:33.

No comments:

Post a Comment